In honor of the American Academy of Periodontology's 100th anniversary in 2014, we are proud to introduce the AAP Foundation 2014 Centennial Society. Joining is easy.
The AAP Foundation Celebrates the American Academy of Periodontology’s 100th Anniversary
The American Academy of Periodontology was founded in 1914 by Drs. Gillette Hayden and Grace Roger Spalding. With only 18 charter members, it was initially named the American Academy of Oral Prophylaxis and Periodontology. The Academy’s first Annual Meeting was held in 1914, with 17 members present.
A merger of the American Academy of Periodontology and the American Society of Periodontists took place in 1967, and the two organizations were consolidated under the name, “The American Academy of Periodontology”. Today, the American Academy of Periodontology has grown to approximately 8,000 members worldwide.
The 2014 Centennial Society is a special giving opportunity sponsored by the AAP Foundation to celebrate this important milestone.
In 1990, the American Academy of Periodontology Foundation was incorporated, with a charge to “stimulate and support research, education and knowledge in the field of periodontology with the overall objective of advancing the art and science of periodontology, fulfilling the periodontal needs of the public, and, thereby, improving the public health.” Since its inception, the AAP Foundation has awarded over $3 million dollars to deserving periodontists in support of academic pursuits. The Foundation offers 12 different awards that support excellence and education. This year alone, the AAP Foundation will award more than $380,000 to support the specialty.
Your gift of $2,014 will secure your membership in the Centennial Society. In appreciation of your generosity, you will be recognized:
- in Periospectives, the AAP’s quarterly magazine
- in the AAP Foundation Annual Report
- on a special Centennial Society listing on periofoundation.org
- on the Donor Wall at the 2014 Annual Meeting
All donors will also receive a commemorative certificate and special gift from the AAP Foundation. Members of the 2014 Centennial Society have the option to pay their commitment of $2,014 in full at once, via quarterly invoice or by monthly credit card charge over the course of one year. All gifts to the AAP Foundation are tax-deductible to the extent of the law.
A Special Opportunity for Students
Join the 2014 Centennial Society at a special student rate of $201.40, payable on the same terms described above.
By The Numbers…
• $3,332,000 has been awarded by the AAP Foundation since its inception.
• 95% of all award recipients report being involved in academic periodontics.
• 85% of award recipients are currently engaged in research.
• 17 award recipients hold top positions in educational institutions across the country, including deans, program directors and department chairs.
• 12 different awards are given to over 20 individuals annually.
• 4 new awards have been funded over the past three years.
• $383,150 will be awarded to deserving periodontists to support the specialty in 2013.
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Take an active role in your specialty’s future by celebrating its history. Join the 2014 Centennial Society today!